Thursday 25 April 2013

Cookbook Challenge Week 16 - Veggie Burgers Every Which Way


This week I have been cooking from Veggie Burgers Every Which Way by Lukas Volger. I bought this book when I was in a bit of a rush in Waterstones and only realised when I got home that its a vegetarian cookbook with some Vegan recipes. Not to be put off, I made 3 of the Vegan burgers which I thought would be tastiest  - Best Portobellow Burgers, Mushroom Burgers with Barley & Seitan Burgers with Mango BBQ Sauce


Best Portobellow Burgers - this was really nice and very simple (about 5 ingredients), it was not very filling but still tasted really good. The only change I made was using small Portobellow mushrooms instead of 1 large and I swapped the rice vinegar for balsamic as I could not get rice vinegar:

Mushroom Burgers with Barley - these didn't look much like the picture in the book (possibly because I used my stick blender - perhaps a food processor would give a coarser texture) but they were still really good - full of flavour and quite filling, I perhaps should have cooked them a bit longer as they were a bit soft in the middle but the taste made up for that:

Seitan Burgers with BBQ Mango Sauce - this was by far my favourite recipe (2 actually as the Mango BBQ Sauce had to be made separately). The seitan was a great texture, tasted slightly meaty and the sauce was just brilliant (very reminiscent of Sweet & Sour), I did make 1 change which was leaving the seitan whole rather than cutting into strips. I will definitely be making both the seitan and the sauce again:

Even though some of the recipes in this book are only vegetarian I have to admit that I like the book and some of the recipes are very inventive, I will try a few more in future and hopefully they will be as tasty as these 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment