Wednesday 27 November 2013

Cookbook Challenge Week 49 - Vegan Yum Yum

This week I have been cooking from Vegan Yum Yum by Lauren Ulm:
I bought this book a few years ago and after initially trying one of the recipes that was a disaster I put it back on the shelf and haven't used it since, however I decided to dust it off and give it another whirl. I am glad I did:

Spicy Tomato Chickpea Soup - This recipe is delicious, full of flavour (tomato, spice, nutritional yeast) and filling as well. I ate this after coming home from work late and it was lovely & warming:


Creamy Tomato Barley Risotto - This is another excellent recipe, I liked the fact that as with the mushroom risotto in Happy Herbivore Around the World, the rice in the recipe is replaced with barley which is a texture I prefer. As with the soup this recipe is bursting with flavour, the only deviation I had to make to the recipe was adding lots more water as it almost boiled dry a few times:

Creamy Broccoli Mushroom Bake - This was my favourite recipe, the sauce is made from cashews (with lots of other ingredients like tahini) and had a slight caramel taste to it, added to rice (I forgot to buy Orzo), topped with breadcrumbs & paprika it was brilliant, very filling and a lovely Sunday night meal. I will be making this again:


Overall these 3 recipes have really changed my opinion of the book. They all worked perfectly and tasted great, I will definitely be using the book again as some friends have recommended other recipes from it which are equally good.

No comments:

Post a Comment