Thursday 10 January 2013

Cookbook challenge 2013 - Happy Herbivore Abroad

2013 Cookbook Challenge

This year I am trying to cook from a different cookbook each week (at least 2 recipes), this week I have been using Happy Herbivore Abroad. When this book arrived some of the recipes didn't look that appealing but they were deceptively nice:




German lentil soup:
This looked great in the book, but when I was cooking it it tasted awful. However once cooked it was transformed into a wonderful, delicious & filling soup:

Creamy Mushroom Barley:
This is my favourite recipe and I will definitely be making this regularly in future - its absolutely delicious, however I made it without spinach as I hate it (sorry about the awful photo): 

German sandwich spread:
This was good but could have done with some extra taste (garlic or olive oil maybe) but it was quick, easy and fairly tasty (wont be making it again though):



Migas:
I quite enjoyed this but found the tortillas in it to be a bit soggy and I probably wont be making this again:

I also made vegetable korma (forgot to take photo), which was nice but I found it a bit weak. I am not a fan of currys that burn your mouth off, but this could have done with a bit more spice. The only other criticism about this recipe was that it stated "vegetable broth", no specific amount so I probably used too much which could account for it being a bit weak tasting.

Overall I really liked this book, I will be using it in future and I will definitely be making the creamy mushroom barley again (very very soon). 

No comments:

Post a Comment