Thursday 31 October 2013

Vegan Cookbook Challenge Week 45 - Vegan Feasts

This week I have been cooking from Vegan Feasts by Rose Elliot:

I have had this book for a few years, I bought it because a friend recommended the Nut Loaf recipe. I have tried the nut loaf, it was excellent and I thought the rest of the recipes would be. I was disappointed in the end, some of the recipes were good but a few were disappointing.

The Bad:
Brown Lentil Loaf - this was tasty, but soggy and didn't have a great texture. I wont be making this again.
Chickpea Stew - this was OK, it had some nice flavours but was a bit boring. I wont be making this again either:

Chickpea Puree with Spicy Onion Topping - this was the biggest disappointment. It look great and potentially could have been really really great. I followed the recipe exactly and it was boring:


 The good
Basil & Sun Dried Tomato Scone - I made these to go with the puree and they were great, full of flavour and perfect for a light lunch:

Tofu & Mushroom Scramble - I was exited to try this as its one of very few tofu scramble recipes that uses Silken tofu, however I was worried as there is very little in the recipe flavour wise (no onion/garlic or nutritional yeast) but I needn't have been. This was excellent and because it was simple it showcased the flavours that were used:

Onion & Herb Quiche - This recipe turned out well, I have never had a onion quiche before but this was lovely, it never occurred to me to blend cooked onions into the tofu when making a quiche its definitely something I will be trying with my own recipes in future:

Colcannon - This is another of those recipes I haven't tried before, it was brilliant. Full of favour and cream goodness. I will be making this again:


Overall I was a bit disappointed with this book, it has taught me a few things but I don't think I will be using it much in future with the exception of the nut road recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment