Thursday 17 October 2013

Cookbook Challenge Week 43 - Vegan Slow Cooking For Two Or Just For You

This week I have been cooking from Vegan Slow Cooking For Two Or Just For You by Kathy Hester:

I have reviewed Kathy's other slow cooker book a few weeks ago and was impressed with the recipes, however this book hit the mark with me much more, partially due to the fact that the recipes are for small slow cookers and partially because the recipes are just really really good.

Vanilla Hazelnut Creamer - this was my only failure from the book, the recipe itself was really good and tasted fantastic, but my blender isn't great and left the creamy very grainy. I would make this again but only if I had a much better blender:



 Carrot Cake Rice Pudding - I had this for breakfast Sunday morning and it was delightful, packed with flavour but not too heavy:

Italian Seitan Coins - These were made for use in other recipes, they cooked really well, had a great texture and tasted great, the only problem I had was that the recipe made so much that when they were cooking they lifted the lid of the slow cooker!

Italian Seitan Coins with Mashed Cauliflower & Gravy - This recipe is a complete meal made in the slow cooker and was delicious, the seitan in gravy was gorgeous and the veg complimented it perfectly:

Leftovers for lunch the next day:


Italian Seitan & Pepper Stew - This recipe was really simple but packed with flavour, low calorie & easy to make. What else could you ask for?


Tomatillo & White Bean Chili - I had to use standard tomatoes for this as I could not get tomatillos, I don't think it made much of a difference though as the recipe was great. It doesn't state that any water/broth should be used in the recipe, and I made the stupid mistake of throwing some in anyway (partially because my slow cooker gets so hot it could be compared to the surface of the sun) which made the recipe very thin. I ended up throwing it in a pan and simmering it for 30 minutes to get rid of the excess liquid, however once that was done it was great:

Indian Mashed Veggie Sandwich - I really enjoyed this, I served it with a tortilla wrap and it was like a curry burrito, the leftover I will be serving with rice as an alternative to curry tomorrow:

Cheezy Butternut Squash Macaroni - This was probably my favourite recipe from the book, I don't usually like butternut squash, but this was excellent. The butternut gave the texture of cheese, the nutritional yeast replaced the flavour and it made an excellent, tasty & filling dinner:


Overall I loved this book, all of the recipes worked really well (or would have without my meddling) and tasted fantastic. I came home every night this week to a delicious smelling house with a meal almost ready for me. 
Personally I loved the recipes in Kathy's first book but I think this book is probably best for houses where there is a lone vegan as the recipes make enough for dinner, with leftovers for lunch the next day but without the hassle of halving/quartering recipes which is what I did with the first book.
This will definitely be making it into my 10 favourite cookbooks 





No comments:

Post a Comment