Thursday 18 July 2013

Cookbook Challenge Week 29 - Vegan Brunch

This week I have been cooking from Vegan Brunch  by Isa Chandra Moskowitz, this book has always had a special place in my heart as the first time I made seitan I used a recipe from this book (Italian Feast Sausages) and they were wonderful so I had high expectations for the rest of the recipes that I tried....


Red Hash Flannel Hash, Italian Feast Sausages & Tofu Scramble - I made and ate these 3 together, the hash was my least favourite of the recipes, it was nice but I'm just not a huge fan of beets and found this a bit lacklustre, however the tofu scramble was delicious.
I have never been a big fan of tofu scramble but Isa's recipe is really good, it doesn't call for pressing the tofu to get the water out, that happens during the cooking with the flavourings being added in the last few minutes. It was full of flavour and I will definitely be using this recipe again, along with the Italian Feast recipe - the sausages turned out spicy (but not too spicy) and full of flavour with a firm but not chewy texture:

Tomato Rosemary Scones - I though I did something wrong with these as they were rather more pale than those in the book, however they taste delicious and I have been eating them every day this week:

Banana Rabanada (Brazillian French Toast) - this was basically French toast with banana blended into the mix, was it good?  Damn right it was, crispy on the outside and gooey in the middle it was a lovely sweet Sunday brunch treat:

East Coast Coffee Cake - this is the one recipe that I have been wanting to make for years but have just got round to and I am so glad that I did, it was bloody gorgeous - a white cake base with blueberry jam swirls topped with a spiced crumble topping. What more could you want from a cake?


Overall I think this book is brilliant, almost all the recipes have turned out wonderfully and it remains one of my favourite cookbooks.


No comments:

Post a Comment