Wednesday 12 June 2013

Cookbook Challenge Week 23 - Superfood Kitchen

This week I have been cooking from Superfood Kitchen by Julie Morris. I bought this book just before Christmas and although some of the food looks good, I was put off some of the recipes by the ingredients (sacha inchi, acai etc) but I decided to give the book a try. I picked what I wanted to make and then put in a rather expensive order for the ingredients needed.

I ended up making the following:

Hot Quinoa Bowl - I hated this. Great texture and it would have been really good apart from the taste of quinoa. I stopped eating quinoa years ago and now remember why. I mixed in some coconut sugar which made it passable but I will not be making this again (I would like to point out that this is in no fault due to the recipe or the book, but purely through my complete revulsion of quinoa):



Banana Seed Bread - This took a little while to make and used most of the unusual ingredients (Mesquite powder, lucuma, hemp seeds, coconut sugar, coconut oil), but was well worth the effort. Its the first banana bread that I have ever made that is actually like bread (most end up delicious but a bit too moist) and really does taste good. I may use the base recipe again (dry ingredients to wet) but I will probably not make this again due to the difficulty getting some of the ingredients:


Kale and Black Eyed Pea Stew - this was quite good, tasty and filling but a bit too watery for me. I prefer thicker soups/stews but compared to some shop bought soups this is far better:

Chipolte Chilli - this was my second favourite recipe, far thicker than the stew it was full of flavour and very filling - brimming with black beans & sweet potato. I would definitely make this again (I didn't make the avocado sour cream that is supposed to go with it as I don't like avocados):

Tofu Broccoli Quiche with Quinoa Crust - this was my favourite recipe. I have never made a broccoli quiche before and I was very dubious about this as the recipe didn't seem to have much flavouring in it, but I decided to give it a whirl and I was pleasantly surprised at how tasty it was. I did not make the quinoa crust as stated before I hate quinoa, instead using my usual quiche crust - a wrap.
I will definitely make this again:




Overall I like this book a lot, it has made cooking with so called superfoods far easier for me and less daunting, but what I really loved was how quick and easy these recipes were, apart from the banana bread they were all done and cooking away in about 20 minutes. Its an excellent addition to my cookbook collection I will certainly be trying other recipes from it in future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment